Pages

17 June 2013

LET'S ALL BE 'BOY TOYS'. OH NO WAIT, LET'S NOT.



Sick Girl are a pretty popular brand, and granted, I find the sudden influx of them and Boy London into fashion mainstream (on every girl on every blog in every town, YAWN) perplexing given that they should probably be paying you to wear that fifty quid sweater that essentially turns you into a walking advertisement, but clearly, at twenty five, I don't understand because I am old and past it (and besides, I wore 3 stripe Adidas joggers just like everyone else back in the day, so it could be said that I'm a fucking hypocrite.). 

What I really object to, though, is this snapback which has appeared on ASOS:


I'm not sure it's okay to charge people to wear a hat with such a misogynistic message, let alone £35.  In fact I'm pretty sure it's like paying to be approached by nutters and chauvinist pigs, but hey, what do I know.  Who on earth thought that this was an okay message to send out?  If a girl walks around with this on her head then she is practically begging to be treated badly by men.  I obviously disagree with the whole bizarre concept of "she was wearing a short skirt so she was asking to be raped", but this hat sends out a clear message that as a female, you are a toy, for men to use and discard at their convenience.  A woman can wear what she likes, but if you wear this, you're cheapening yourself and the rest of us, and you're also fucking idiot.


7 comments:

  1. Been loving your recent posts! I saw this and thought the same, Sick Girl is a brand that's worn by loads of tween girls and I really don't wanna see them walking around with this on their head! Also, love that you've labelled this under stupid fucking idiots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I am totally up for people wearing whatever the hell they want, that's the whole point of freedom of speech, and freewill etc. BUT, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna judge you if you wear something ridiculous. And that hat is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx
    Gleaming Spire * Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear hear girl! I totally agree; I don't know who oked this and better yet, I don't know what self-respecting girl would want to purchase this? It's almost as abhorrent as those horrible juicy sweatpants. Yech!! And I'm totally on the Boy London hater wagon. Clearly, going viral isn't an online phenomenon and women can, on ocassion, collectively lose their minds.

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS, ALL OVER. Popular culture does enough to degrade women without us blowing that trumpet by ourselves. Some might say its "ironic" to we're this, but tbh I would worry about the vulnerabilities of teenagers thinking this kind of attitude is cool. <3 Claire at Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes totally agree. I cannot see any possible reason why anyone would want to wear this hat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, i've added you onto my list of blogs I love hope that's alright! xx

    ReplyDelete